Tag Archive: Vallejo Acrylics


 

Tamiya 1/35 Jagdpanther (Sd.Kfz. 173) Late Version Kit# 35203

The Build

The kit itself appears to be very crisp in detail,not many parts,but they looked clean and I test fitted several of the main panel sections. The areas that obviously stood out to me was,those god awful “rubber band tracks”, the barrel with the seam that travels along the whole length of the barrel, after you glue the two halves together,and the absence of engine screens. The decals are rather lifeless.

I went ahead and started with the wheel assembly,lower tub,rear panel, they went together very nice, the running wheels didn’t look that bad,had some nice details in the bolt pattern. I went ahead and prepped and painted the lower tub ,and painted the wheels using a circle template you get at any art store.

I then attached all the road weels,left and idler and drive sprocket to rotate for easier acceses for installing the tracks. I had to do this one on a budget, after getting their coat of black primer, then some gray , I sprayed a gloss clear coat ,so the next day I can apply a wash of AK’s track rust. I let dry for a day then applied a light European earth pigment and dry brushed it with MIG pigments gun metal,and some Model Master Enamel Silver.

When that was dry I installed the two sections of track that were alreay connected using cyanoacrylate. Carefully working around the idler and drive sprockets,it went very nicely. Did some weathering inside the road wheel assembly with oils and pigments, before it got to cramped inside the wheel compartment.

I next mounted the upper hull assembly and the clumsy looking 88 was replaced by a aftermarket barrel from RB Models, a company in Checkoslovaia who does kick ass work for a reasonable price,even with shipping.

Now that everthing is coming together left only the small parts like tools,hatches,handles,exhaust, photo etched motor and heater intake grills.

Now for the Prepping ,Primer and Paint. I first sprayed a mixture of Vallejo Acrylic German Red Brown and Black for the primer coat. I then used MIG Ammo Dunkelgelb dark base and Dunkelgelb base for the lower halves,and Dunkelgelb Light Base for the upper halves. These were paints that I have from the Dunkelgelb Modulation Set.

I then sprayed AK Acrylic Olivgrun , and Rotbraun I pulled from the “Olivgrun and Rotbraunn Modulation Set”, from AK.
I was able to apply the modulation process with all three camo colors. After a day and a half of letting the acrylic gloss clear coat dry enough to continue with the project.

Much of the tools were painted off the vehicle,as well as the two cables on each side. By the way the plastic cable from the kit was cut off and each eyelet had a small hole drilled with a pin vise,and installed a thick thread into each end with a little cyanoacrylate. It worked out just great. I mounted them ,and applied the wash, I used several types and brands to get the effect I wanted. Then on with the chipping, and some pigments, and did a final walk around,and I was pleased.

Advertisements

 

Tamiya’s 1/35th Sd.Kfz.184 Schwerer Jagdpanzer “Elefant”

 “Painting”

 This is a Tamiya “re release” of an earlier kit. This kit has fine surface detail, and new individual/partial track sections. I was not so thrilled with the tracks, so I bought a track set by Hobby Boss. I also bought an 88 barrel, as well as MG34 tips, both by Arber. The kit has three nicely detailed crewmen, which I will use in another kit. The sections fit really easy. PE would have made it truly awesome.

 I went the “modulation” route, using AK interactive German Dunkelgelb Modulation Set.

 I used MIG red brown and Olivgrun opt. 2A for the patch camo. I applied Testors Model Master Acrylic Gloss Clear Coat.

Let dry for two days and then applied a wash of AK Summer Kursk Earth, MIG Brown Wash, and for the tracks I sprayed them with Vallejo Black Grey and applied MIG Ammo Streaking Rust Effects. I will do some more pin washes, where needed, plus adding a light rust wash.

Elefant Pic 5

Elefant Pic 7

Elefant Pic 8

Elefant Pic 9

Dragon 1/35th Panther A Late “Black Knight” (Kit# 6524)

 

Painted and Weathered

In these last pages,they show the three camo pattern. I used all sorts of mediums,but primarily after the red primer was applied I used Vallejo Acrylics. For the basecoat I used Sand Yellow (#009) for the basecoat and modulation process. For the two other colors for the tri-camo I used Calvary Brown (#137) for Rotbraun. And for Olivgrün I used German Camo Dark Green (#097). The airbrush paint process came out exceptionally well,especially that I was using my brand new Iwata “Ninja Jet” Compressor. I used Testors Dullcote and Glosscote for the clearcoats needed for the “wash” process,and for the final matt look. I used Testor’s Model Master Enamels for the pioneer tools. I used a small pinpoint brush for the chipping,and used MIG 502 Abteilung Oils for the highlights and heavy traffic areas. MIG Pigments was used nicely for the lower hull,tracks and wheel assemblies.These were the primary mediums that I used.

Footnote

I had trouble with the application of the Archer 1/35 medium tall numbers black & white turret transfers (#AR35040B). During the application they were accidently torn,now I had to re-order them and will download up to date pictures,when it’s do      12

10

13

14

16

17

18

19

20

21

22

23

24

25

29

32

33

34

35

36

37

38

31

Plastic Models... By CharleyGnarly

Just a regular Joe, sharing tips and such for other regular Joes and Janes.

amateur airplanes

Let's build.

fossiljellyfish

Random thoughts of a random fellow

Adopt a Model

eyvallah beğenene, beğenmeyenin canı cehenneme

ExcentRich Armour

The mini site about miniature armour!

ThisbeRich

Amateur Miniature Models!

MSC Review Connect

Reviews for the Modelling Community