Tag Archive: s.Pz.Abt.502


Final Photos

I will not go into any detail as I have in the past,but rather give a brief summary of the primary mediums that I used. I sprayed a primer /post shading coat of a mixture of Flouquil black and brown enamel. Set aside for two days.

I then sprayed a coat of Humbrol #125 US dark grey enamel.And then for the lower hull and tracks I sprayed Flouquil sienna for the earth base. Set aside for two days then sprayed with an enamel clear coat. After that was dry I applied my decals(Third Group).These markings depict Otto Carius of the
Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 (502 heavy tank battalion). This unit fought at the Leningrad front and then in the area of Narva, Estonia (Battle of Narva). 1943.

I then started wth the wash ,with the primary enamel colors of MIG dark wash and brown wash.I did a lot of custom mixing especially with the tracks.

I then applied a light dusting of flat enamel clear from Floquil. Again I let it set for two days. I then started with the MIG Pigments. I used various shades ranging from track brown to gun metal. At this stage there was a lot of experimenting for that right combination.

The chipping was done with Humbrol US dark grey and a mixture of white using a Princeton Round 20/0 brush.

For the hightlights I used Floquil Silver,MIG 502 Abteilung modeling oil color snow white and German Grey Highlight. The earth color was primarily MIG pigment of brown mud.

So this is a brief summay of the basic painting and weathering procedures that I used on this Acacemy Tiger Tank -Early Version Kit No.1386


Advertisements

In this photo set it shows the finished application of Testors Model Master Enamels by brush,and the application of the kit’s decals. Obviously I chose the markings of one of  the support tanks   of  s.Pz.Abt. 502  Tiger Battalion near Leningrad in 1943.  After a day or two, I applied a coat of Testors Model Master  High Gloss Clear Enamel and  let dry for two full days.  After two days I was able to handle it without causing any print marks.  There is when I applied Flouquil   Flat Black Enamel to the tires. I thinned it  out enough to apply the paint with O size brush and  let the capillary  action do the work. By doing this method it leaves the running wheels and small upper support wheels nice and clean. I Then applied MIG Productions Dark Wash to the track and some parts of the rubber. This took me about three applications for what I was looking for. Today I  applied a light wash of  MIG Productions Brown Wash on the bottom hull and underneath  as well. Still wet, I sprinkled some #4 from the Rustall  Set, It gives a natural earth and rock look. 

All the major construction is done. Next on the agenda is to paint a dark undercoat of  Floquil Railroad Colors (Enamel). Engine Black and Tuscan are my choice on this project.  I do not prime my models with grey,I use a brownish-black  color and then spray the topcoats on. 

Here I assembled the “Winterketten” tracks with ice cleats spaced every three tracks. The tracks were a joy. Nicely done. Also included is a shot of the front upper hull with the PE shields on the front. I decided to go a step further and complete the whole front using Edurard PE  plates and mounting plates. Now to the gun assembly.

Here is a practice fit of the upper front hull,rear deck and two fenders. To my great delight all these fitted very well. It is almost like a “snap fit” kit. Love this newer generation of Dragon Kits.

In these shots are the completed sections of the upper hull and side fenders. The small parts fit very nicely,and with amazing detail. I was very impressed with the quality of the tow cables. I would rate them very high, and in my opinion better than any resin one, and less of a pain.Very little clean up and the welds are perfect. So far so good. 

Just finished installing the lower road wheels,upper support wheels,the drive sprockets,idler wheels,tension assemblies,and the”complete”  rear panel. The panel parts aligned and fitted well,the details are of high quality,and I love the PE screens above the mufflers. So far so good.  

 Just finished the suspension system. I am very pleased with the detail and ease of the fit. The only problem I have so far is with  the incorrect numbering of the parts,otherwise I am very happy.

These are several pics. of the kit’s detailed wheel assembly. I love the PE rings that fit inside the idler wheels. Nice. The bottom hull has some very very nice details.

Finally Getting Started. I am very impressed with the detail. Looks like a “Fun Build”.

Stad's Stuff

Your Source for Plastic Figures

Plastic Models... By CharleyGnarly

Just a regular Joe, sharing tips and such for other regular Joes and Janes.

amateur airplanes

Let's build.

fossiljellyfish

Random thoughts of a random fellow

MSC Review Connect

Reviews for the Modelling Community

Justice for Germans

Exploring the little known, but true history of National Socialism, Hitler and WWII, what was really behind it, and seeking truth, justice and honour for the German people

The Neighborhood

The Story within the Story