Tag Archive: 1/35 scale models


Tamiya 1/35 Jagdpanther Late 

                                                       History

The Jagdpanther (German: “hunting panther”) was a tank destroyer built by Germany during World War II based on the chassis of the Panther tank. It entered service in 1944 during the later stages of the war on the Eastern and Western Fronts. The Jagdpanther combined the 8.8 cm KwK 43 cannon of the Tiger II and the armor and suspension of the Panther chassis.

It was planned that production will reach and output of 150 vehicles per month, but the highest output was in January of 1945, when 72 were produced. Overall from December of 1943 to March of 1945, only 392 were produced. The total number of Jagdpanthers produced was a direct result of Allied bomber raids, which caused much destruction and disruption at the two production centers.

The Jagdpanther was armed with excellent, long barrelled 88mm Pak 43/3 L/71 gun (similar to that used on Tiger II) and single 7.92mm MG34 or MG42 machine gun mounted in the same ball mount as Panther Ausf A. The 88mm gun was fitted with Sfl.Z.F.1a (5×8) gun sight and was capable of destroying enemy tanks at ranges of 3000 meters. Both weapons were mounted in a well-sloped frontal plate (80mm at 55 degrees). The main 88mm gun was protected by massive 100mm “saukopf” (pig’s head) type mantlet.

It was powered by a 12 cylinder Maybach HL 230 P30 23.1 liter V12 gasoline engine, which would give it an effective range of 160 km (1000 miles) and a top speed of 46km/h (28.6 mph), making it as fast as contemporary Allied medium tanks such as the M4 Sherman, despite the latter weighing 15.000 kg (33070 lbs) less.

Two main variants can be distinguished, the earlier (1944 model) G1 with a small internally bolted main gun mantlet and a modified Panther A engine deck, and the later (1945 model) G2 with a larger simplified, outside-bolted mantlet and a modified Panther G engine deck, though late G1s also had the larger mantlet. Early Jagdpanthers had two vision openings for the driver, whereas late versions had only one. The main gun originally had a monobloc gun barrel, but later versions were equipped with the Pak 43/4 gun with a two-part barrel.

Jagdpanthers equipped heavy antitank battalions (schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung) and served mainly on the Eastern Front.[1] In the West, they were first encountered in very small numbers late in the Battle of Normandy, where the German 654 schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung (“654th Heavy Antitank Battalion”) deployed about 12 Jagdpanthers against British units. Later, significant numbers were concentrated in the West for the Ardennes Offensive.

 

Advertisements

Trumpeter 1/35th Scale German Sd Kfz8 db10 Gepanzerte 12t
Final Lower Hull Fitting
All I can say is that the fit is perfect,and now to the paint shop for priming of the lower hull interior and chassis,engine,drive train,and wheel assemblies.

Lower Hull Final Fit Right Angle

Lower Hull Final Fit Right Rear Angle

Lower Hull Final Fit Right Front Shot

Lower Hull Final Fit Left Side

Lower Hull Final Fit Engine Shot

Lower Hull Final Fit Front Shot

Lower Hull Final Fit Left Rear Angle

Hobby Boss 1/35  VK1602  Leopard

Final Shots

In these last pictures they are pretty self explanatory. After the chipping was done I did a very light drybrush of Testors Model Master Steel for some areas of wear. Did a pin wash, using MIG BrownWash,Light and Medium Rust. I then drybrushed the rear exhaust pipes with Mig Rust Pigments. The wheels and track, and lower hull received a dusting of various earth pigments. Well it’s a wrap.

23

25

28

24

In these photos I had just finished the initial “Detergent Chipping Method”. For a brief summary, two days after I had applied the Testor’s Model Master Schwarzgrau ’39-’43 Enamel Paint. After finally drying enough to handle. My next move was to mask off  as much of the vehicle that I didn’t want overspray on. The color I used was  Citadel Colour Acrylic Skull White, a French brand. What a choice huh? Couldn’t get a hold of any Tamiya X-2 Acyrlic Paint. I now shot the white,with no problems. Then while the paint was drying I cleaned my airbrush up,because my Iwata Revolution  for some reason hates acrylics. At this point I carried my “Baby” to the sink, for the “Bath”. I rinsed the two main parts the turret and the hull under the sink with a gentle rinse. Took them out ,and sprinkled dry laundry detergent over the obvious areas. I then let set for 30 seconds,and then repeated the rinse. In some cases of what you are looking for ,you can repeat the Detergent Step to get a light to heavy chipping look. Also you can use a light brush such as a old toothbrush for stubborn areas.  Bye for now.

After finally resolving the airbrush problem,I continued with the project. I painted the underside,the wheel carriage and tracks with a mixture of Model Master Enamel Black mixed with Tuscan Brown. I then sprayed the interior with Floquil Enamel Reefer White. After that I hand brushed the interior parts. Tomorrow I will spray Floquil High Gloss Clear Enamel in the interior area for a light wash.

Plastic Models... By CharleyGnarly

Just a regular Joe, sharing tips and such for other regular Joes and Janes.

amateur airplanes

Let's build.

fossiljellyfish

Random thoughts of a random fellow

Adopt a Model

eyvallah beğenene, beğenmeyenin canı cehenneme

ExcentRich Armour

The mini site about miniature armour!

ThisbeRich

Amateur Miniature Models!

MSC Review Connect

Reviews for the Modelling Community