Tamiya 1/35 Jagdpanther (Sd.Kfz. 173) Late Version Kit# 35203

The Build

The kit itself appears to be very crisp in detail,not many parts,but they looked clean and I test fitted several of the main panel sections. The areas that obviously stood out to me was,those god awful “rubber band tracks”, the barrel with the seam that travels along the whole length of the barrel, after you glue the two halves together,and the absence of engine screens. The decals are rather lifeless.

I went ahead and started with the wheel assembly,lower tub,rear panel, they went together very nice, the running wheels didn’t look that bad,had some nice details in the bolt pattern. I went ahead and prepped and painted the lower tub ,and painted the wheels using a circle template you get at any art store.

I then attached all the road weels,left and idler and drive sprocket to rotate for easier acceses for installing the tracks. I had to do this one on a budget, after getting their coat of black primer, then some gray , I sprayed a gloss clear coat ,so the next day I can apply a wash of AK’s track rust. I let dry for a day then applied a light European earth pigment and dry brushed it with MIG pigments gun metal,and some Model Master Enamel Silver.

When that was dry I installed the two sections of track that were alreay connected using cyanoacrylate. Carefully working around the idler and drive sprockets,it went very nicely. Did some weathering inside the road wheel assembly with oils and pigments, before it got to cramped inside the wheel compartment.

I next mounted the upper hull assembly and the clumsy looking 88 was replaced by a aftermarket barrel from RB Models, a company in Checkoslovaia who does kick ass work for a reasonable price,even with shipping.

Now that everthing is coming together left only the small parts like tools,hatches,handles,exhaust, photo etched motor and heater intake grills.

Now for the Prepping ,Primer and Paint. I first sprayed a mixture of Vallejo Acrylic German Red Brown and Black for the primer coat. I then used MIG Ammo Dunkelgelb dark base and Dunkelgelb base for the lower halves,and Dunkelgelb Light Base for the upper halves. These were paints that I have from the Dunkelgelb Modulation Set.

I then sprayed AK Acrylic Olivgrun , and Rotbraun I pulled from the “Olivgrun and Rotbraunn Modulation Set”, from AK.
I was able to apply the modulation process with all three camo colors. After a day and a half of letting the acrylic gloss clear coat dry enough to continue with the project.

Much of the tools were painted off the vehicle,as well as the two cables on each side. By the way the plastic cable from the kit was cut off and each eyelet had a small hole drilled with a pin vise,and installed a thick thread into each end with a little cyanoacrylate. It worked out just great. I mounted them ,and applied the wash, I used several types and brands to get the effect I wanted. Then on with the chipping, and some pigments, and did a final walk around,and I was pleased.

Advertisements