Schwerer Panzerspähwagen (8-Rad) Sd.Kfz. 232

Brief History

The term Schwerer Panzerspähwagen (German: “heavy armoured reconnaissance vehicle), covers the 6 and 8 wheeled armoured cars Germany used during the Second World War.

In the German Army, armoured cars were intended for the traditional cavalry missions of reconnaissance and screening. They scouted ahead and to the flank of advancing mechanized units to assess enemy location, strength and intention. Their primary role was reconnaissance, but they would engage similar or light units and at times attempt to capture enemy patrols.

Production started in 1932 and123 Sd.Kfz.231/232 and 28 Sd.Kfz.263 were produced to 1937 by Daimler-Benz (36 Sd.Kfz.231/232), Buessing-BAG (12 Sd.Kfz.231/232) and Magirus (75 Sd.Kfz.231/232). Armored bodies were produced by Deutschen Werke AG in Kiel and Deutsche Edelstahlwerke AG in Hannover-Linden.

Sd.Kfz.231/232 were issued to Aufklaerungs Abteilungs, while Sd.Kfz.263to Nachrichten (Signal) units, where they remained in active service during the Polishand French Campaign. Later, they were used for training purposes.

The SdKfz 232 Schwere Panzerspähwagen (8-rad) (FU) with additional radio equipment and frame aerial. This was 0.2 tons heavier than the standard armoured car. It had a crew of four and was similarly armed with the 20mm cannon and co-axial machine gun.

Advertisements