The Sd.Kfz. 9 (also known as “Famo” ) was a German half-track that saw widespread use in World War II. Its main roles were as a prime mover for very heavy towed guns such as the 24 cm Kanone 3 and as a tank recovery vehicle. Approximately 2,500 were produced between 1938 and 1945.Famo is an abbreviation for “Fahrzeug und Motorenbau GmbH”, the manufacturer of this massive tractor.
The 18 ton Famo was used for towing artillery, troop transport and armoured vehicle recovery. Despite its substantial power, recovery of Tiger or Panther tanks required three Famos linked with tow cables to handle the massive bulk of the big Panzers.The versatile vehicle could also be used for transporting medium tanks in combination with the 22-ton Sd.Ah.116 trailer. A wrecker version with a six-ton crane, the Sd.Kfz.9/1, was also produced. When a tank became inoperative, the Recovery Platoons were informed of the condition of both the tank and the surrounding road surface. Tanks such as Pz.Kpfw.III and Pz.Kpfw.IV could be towed by a single 18 ton heavy half-track, but heavy tanks such as the Tiger I or Panther required three or more towing vehicles. In that case, about 5m of wire rope was used to link each of the half-tracks together. Except for emergency situations, a draw-bar was used for the tank/half-track linkage instead of wire rope. After the linkage was complete, a commander and signalman boarded the lead half-track, directing the other half-tracks by a series of hand signals. As far as the kit is concerned it came out around December of 1999. I cannot go into detail about the construction process. I was still a novice at military modeling. The winch and cable as I remember was a little tricky. I had a problem with the plastic windshield sections. I ended up leaving them off.  The rear framework for the bed cover was made with steel rods that were of the same thickness as the plastic ones. I fabricated these because the ones in the kit I broke. Overall this kit came out not that bad  considering what problems I had. I thought I would bring it out and take a couple of pics. I did finish it with Tamiya Acrylics and Hudson and Allen Powders.

Advertisements