The Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III) assault gun wasGermany’s most produced armoured fighting vehicle during World War II. It was built on the chassis of the proven Panzer III tank. Initially intended as a mobile, armoured light gun for infantry support, the StuG was continually modified and was widely employed as a tank destroyer. verall, Sturmgeschütz series assault guns proved very successful and served on all fronts as assault guns and tank destroyers. Although Tigers and Panthers have earned a greater notoriety, assault guns collectively destroyed more tanks. Because of their low silhouette, StuG IIIs were easy to camouflage and a difficult target. Sturmgeschütz crews were considered to be the elite of the artillery units. Sturmgeschütz units held a very impressive record of tank kills—some 20,000 enemy tanks by the spring of 1944. As of April 10,1945, there were 1,053 StuG IIIs and 277 StuH 42s in service. Approximately 9,500 StuG IIIs of various types were produced until March 1945 by Alkett and a small number by MIAG.[1][2]

StuG III Ausf. F/8: (Sd.Kfz 142/1; September-December 1942, 250 produced) Introduction of an improved hull design similar to that used for the Panzer III Ausf. J / L with increased rear armor. This was 8th version of Panzer III hulls, thus the designation “F/8.” This hull has towing hook holes extending from side walls. From October 1942, 30mm additional armors were bolted on to speed up the production line. From F/8, 7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48 gun becomes standard until the very last of the Ausf. G. Due to lack of double baffle muzzle brakes, few L48 guns mounted on F/8 were fitted with single baffle ball type muzzle brake found in Panzer IV Ausf. F2.

The kit I built is number 9013 issued in 1995. I believe that was the time of the purchase. The front cover art really caught my eye.I don’t recall to much of the construcition only that it’s reasonably accurate, but the instructions was a little vague at times, and assembly was a bit rough in some areas. Overall, it’s not a bad kit. However, it includes individually molded “Winterketten” track links, plus decals for four versions. As I recall I built the kit straight from the box. I used Testor’s enamels,applied wash with black ink,and used”Rustall” for the lower areas,mixed with Hudson and Allen. I applied a camo netting with thinned out white glue,and then weathered it, and drybrushed with Winsor andNewton oils. I believe this was the extent of my weathering process. Hope you like it.It sure was a while ago.

Advertisements