The official German designation was Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B. The ordnance inventory designation was Sd. Kfz. 186. It saw service from late 1944 to the end of the war on both the Western and Eastern Front. The Jagdtiger was the heaviest armoured fighting vehicle to see service during World War II. Although well protected and armed, it suffered from mechanical problems attributed to its excessive weight. The Jagdtiger was a logical extension of the creation of Jagdpanzer designs from tank designs, such as the Jagdpanther from the Panther tank. The Jagdtiger used a boxy casemate superstructure on top of a lengthened Tiger II chassis. The resulting vehicle featured very heavy armor and the 128 mm PaK 44 L/55 gun, capable of defeating any tank fielded in action,  even at very long ranges (+3,500 m). It had 250 mm armor on the casemate’s front and 150 mm on the glacias plate. The main gun mount had a limited traverse of only 10 degrees; the entire vehicle had to be turned to aim outside that narrow field of fire.

The Jagdtiger suffered from a variety of mechanical and technical problems due to its immense weight and under-powered engine. The vehicle had frequent breakdowns; ultimately more Jagdtigers were lost to mechanical problems or lack of fuel than to enemy action. 150 Jagdtigers were ordered but only half that number were produced. Eleven of them, serial numbers 305001 and 305003 to 305012, were produced with the Porsche suspension (8 roadwheels); all following used the Henschel suspension (9 roadwheels). The model I have built is the Porsche suspension type, is Dragon’s kit # 6051. The model is quite good, one of the best efforts of Dragon so far, almost comparable with the latest Tamiya jewels. The detail is crisp and clean.I had no major problems with the construction and fitting of the major panels.  In some parts there is a nice cast look that has been achieved. The box includes a small photoetched fret containing the radiator and ventilation wire screens, some parts for the gun travel lock and the tie downs which the Jagdtiger had all around the upper part of the superstructure (and in other places) to fix a canvas cover. Overall there were some small problems not worth mentioning or so petty I forgot about them. I used Testors Model Master Enamels,Winsor and Newton Oil for washes and ground up chalk for the pigments.

 

 

Advertisements