Because of its many advanced and innovative features, the World War II German Panzerkampfwagen V, known as the “Panther” tank, is still considered by many ordnance experts as a weaponry masterpiece. The development of the Panther came about due to the successes generated by the Russian T-34, which has become a serious threat to the German forces during the mid part of the conflict. Mass production of the Panther began during the spring of 1943, and with its sophisticated mechanics and powerful Type 42 L70, 70mm main gun, the Panther tank demonstrated its formidable strength during front line action shortly after its introduction. Several improvements were suggested following its initial employment, resulting in the Panther Type G, which began to appear in spring 1944. Major improvements consisted of additional side armor slope angles and simplified assembly refinements for mass production. The powerplant of the Type G Panther was a Maybach HL230-P30, V-12 cylinder, watercooled engine producing 700 horsepower. In order to further enhance productivity and compensate for the lack of raw materials, a handful of trial production Panthers were mounted with steelwheels for testing pruposes. Steel-rimmed silent block wheels, which saved on dwindling supplies of rubber, were introduced in very limited number of O-series vehicles from September 1944 onwards. They were insulated from the hubs by two rubber rings clamped between disc-shaped pressings. The steel-wheeled Panther Type G’s were very rarely seen during combat.I had built this kit in 1997 and was the first time as I recall that I used extra detail sets for it. I used the Verlinden Panther Detail Set,Modelkasten individual track links, and zimmerit from Cavalier. It took me awhile because I was still new to the application of photo etched details,and was still awkward with the small parts,such as the tool clamps. I believe the star antenna was from a Dragon antenna set,I could be wrong.Also this was the first time I used pre manufactured resin zimmerit. I always was using the old putty method.The Cavalier resin zimmerit made it go easy. I believe I used Testors enamel paint. I also hand painted the numbers and the balken crosses.  For weathering I used Hudson and Allen red clay for the dust effect and used Winsor and Newton oils for wash and drybrushing. Boy times have changed.

 

Advertisements