The flamethrower tank known as the original and official name Panzerflammwagen or Panzer (F). Later renamed the Panzer II (Flamingo). All of the above names were the same special vehicle identification, Sd.Kfz.122. The trolley design began in 1939, the beginning of the year. The substrate was responsible for the design of MAN and the tower was part of Daimler-Benz’s responsibility.
As a result, the vehicle on each front wing was installed independently operate small flamethrower towers, which was the turning radius of 180 degrees at 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock noon. Both flamethrower was mudguards my 160 liter oil tank, which allowed the two to three-second firing of the flame for about 80 times. The oil was used for lighting the flame of acetylene and the shooting of the force required to obtain nitrogen, for which the car was 4 pcs cylinders. Middle-defense for the wagon in the tower dome was one pcs MG34 machine guns. Machine sight of a rifle was set to 200 meters, and ammunition were a total of 1800 pieces. wagon weighed 12 tons and had a crew of three.
Armor was 30 mm at the front and the sides and back 14.5 mm. Armor was sufficient to less than 25 mm anti-tank weapons than 600 meters stretch and less than 8 mm ammunition armor was sufficient at all distances. April 1939, was given the command vehicle manufacturing itself to start, and as the primary platform was chosen, therefore, MAN made Panzer II D of the platform, which was a Maybach HL 62 water-cooled six-cylinder and 6.2-liter engine.
Two series of Flammpanzer II were ordered. The O-series, or Ausf A, was built before May 1940 and February 1941. It was followed by an order for 150, the Ausf B, with only minor changes. Only 65 of these were completed before production was cancelled in March 1942. Of this total of 155, 43 were produced by converting existing Panzer II Ausf D fuselages.
The Flammpanzer II entered service on the Russian front in June 1941. Two flame-thrower battalions were formed, but the type was not a success. The combination of highly flammable and thin armour was not ideal, and the units suffered heavy casualties. They were withdrawn early in 1942, and the surviving fuselages were converted to 7.62cm PaK (r) (Sd Kfz 132)